Sunday, October 28, 2007

October 07 Knitting



Hello all, or hello few I should say. I mostly update this blog for myself. I love the combination of knitting, writing, and photos. Recently, I've been in a knitting groove lately. I've made 2 children's sweaters, a matching hat, 2 navy blue shrugs (one short sleeved/one long - no photo YET), a hat with ear flaps, and a pair of mittens. WOW. All this AND from yarn I had in the yarn closet.


I bought a new book, 2 Socks on 2 Circulars. It teaches you how to do just that. Knit 2 socks at the same time on 2 circular needles. No more SSS (second sock syndrome). I say BS, AND WTF. This 'method' is a pain in the butt. I could have made a whole drawer full of socks by now. I was constantly fighting the needles - PITA. I've since moved those socks, yea the dull, boring gray ones to DPNs, the cute little 5 inchers that I bought not too long ago.


The sweaters were for a my friend's niece. I made the first one - oops - too big, and made the next one the next day. The pattern was free off the Internet and easy as pie, and fast. I gave the other to another special one year old on her bday. So they fit a 6-9mo old and a 1 yr old. The hat was from Itty Bitty Hats, basic rolled edge hat with a 'Marly' topper. Super easy.

I made the navy shrugs for Cece and her best friend from school. Cece's was short sleeved and Emma wanted long sleeves. I made them based on the pink/orange sweater construction but made them without a pattern. They're done in LionBrand Thick and Quick - again easy and fast.

Evans hat with ear flaps is made from the same yarn. The pattern for it was from DIY Network.com. From Knitty Gritty - a fun show to watch while napping!


The mittens are for Biddy's knitting pal. She sent the yarn and "never wanted to see it again". It was in a bit of a...tangle. The pattern that I used was from an old holiday knitting magazine I dug up. They look good from far away. I found some mistakes, but they'll still be warm. They cemented my hatred for 'fu-fu' yarn.

Since I'm rather wordy today, I'll just close by telling what's up next on the needles. I'm going to go into a finishing stage. Finish the gray socks, finish the black underwear? boxers? And then push into the Christmas season, oh the variegated greens and reds...barf.

Maybe a little more sock knitting to come. I figure it's about time I knit up something in the ol' alma mater's colors.

It's almost Halloween so I've also included a few photos of the youngins. Cute huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sister here,
Jodi and I need the mitten pattern and the ear flap hat pattern. We love the mittens! Willing to make more? We need to spend the weekend with you!!
love
biddy

Anonymous said...

Amy~Thank you so much for picking up the yarn. Saved me some shipping. Also, thank you for the cutest isu mittens i've ever seen. I wasn't expecting you to make something for me. I just wanted you to take that hateful yarn out of my site. Makes me crazy! I love the cable stitching on the mittens. We haven't learned that at Biddy's class yet. I would love to learn how. I told her we have to come and spend the weekend with you and learn some new stuff. Way too many projects to do and so little time. We are stuck on one mitten pattern and can't seem to go on from there. Well, better go for now, thanks again for everything. Take care. Jodi Coons